Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

Official Diplomatic Statements??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maniakos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 23:26    Post subject: Official Diplomatic Statements?? Reply with quote

I have been playing this game for a few days and I find the fact that this game lacks even the most basic diplomatic features a bit surprising.

The fact that diplomacy is conducted purely with messages raises a few issues:

1. How official is a treaty? I understand that it is desirable to keep our true relations with another House secret, but sometimes it is usefull and extremely important to make them public.

2. There is no proof that any treaty exists or existed between House A and B. House C must trust A's communications that B broke a treaty.

3. There is no enforceable penalty or risk for breaking an agreement. The side with the weakest fleet the fewest planets or fewest allies will loose *period* (all other things being equeal). Even if A and B commonly decided on a penalty to be enforced in such a case by a strong arbitrator C, there is nothing preventing a conspiracy from A and C against B, and B will not have evidence to prove it to House D.

Given these facts I wonder how treaties and stability can be maintained between houses with vastly different power levels. (it doesn't?)

A seperate forum could be used were houses anounce and validate their public treaties. However, this solution requires some manual tracking on the part of the players.
e1567

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 00:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to call you an idiot but where in histroy does a treaty ever get officailly enforced. A treaty is simply an agreement between two or more parties and if one breaks it, it is up to the other to punish. Having a set legal system really limits to how under handed some people and or houses can be. People get forced into treaties but have the possibility to break out of it latter. Enforcing this with set rules will hurt the role playing aspect of this game so no actual rules are really needed what so ever just make sure you have powerful allies.
Gozer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 01:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

e1567, exactly. That's what I like about this game.

As a wise captain once said, "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Walker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 07:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most official state a treaty may get is when getting signed in rpg by both parties but the only negative result of breaking treaties is in the image loss you gain from it
maniakos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't mean to call you an idiot but where in histroy does a treaty ever get officailly enforced

I am not talking about enforcing a treaty on a party or having predefined treaty packages built into the game!

I mean official in the way that Walker said, i.e. making it public if requested to do so. Is there a standard way of doing such a thing?

Is it expected that everyone reads the rpg forum?
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't. But most times, official treatys will be posted in the RP-Forum and will be signed there by the leaders of both sides. But before this, there will be most times some negotiations, so the leader, and often some other people knows that the other side will post in the forum to make it official.

This *is* the standard way, but you can keep it complety private if you want. But if the other side breaks it, there is no evidence that there was ever a treaty, like you mentioned before. Therefore, it can be better to let it know the public.
vadi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but..if two houses make a treaty..and alliance..against some other house, they'll have trouble communicating their stuff in secret. Confused

Last edited by vadi on Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:56; edited 1 time in total
Merthos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? There is no rule to announce a treaty. So the two houses could use IGMs or an external forum combined with a restricted person subgroup. This way you can try to keep something secret.

But as a house grows the chance for spies does too. Wink
PrinceSaturn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 13:09    Post subject: Secret messages... Reply with quote

Merthos wrote:
Why? There is no rule to announce a treaty. So the two houses could use IGMs or an external forum combined with a restricted person subgroup. This way you can try to keep something secret.

Greetings fellow Emperors,

You are right, as the houses grow the problems with spies has become very big. This because so many Emperors wants revenge or something from the passed. If you form a secret alliens it should be like the one of the Sacred Rountable. Now as it has arisen we will see more fun in the Kosmor Universe.

Wish you all the best of luck!!!

Best regards,
Lord Knight PrinceSaturn
vadi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merthos wrote:

Yeah..I guess it's everybody for himself Smile

*cough* *still trying to build a glider*
Dadd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 09:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive it all comes to Honor I try and be an honerable Man and deal with both hands visable.
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

and with regards to house-wings...
when a house/player breaks away from another house... they could (diplomatically by NAP partners) have to declare if they are friendly/hostile to the old house

example:
a house (C) breaks free (from A) and attacks the NAP partner (B) - currently legal (well... not exactly, but so far as possible)
the NAP partner (B) attacks the wing house (C) = (A) demands it was a deliberate attack against a friend.... or declares NAP no longer valid/broken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Kosmor Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: