Mostly Good
50%
 50%  [ 27 ]
Mostly Bad
50%
 50%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 54

Locutus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 07:16    Post subject: Breaking News--Drive Limit Removed! Reply with quote

Well, everyone who watches the news now knows that the drive limit for small ships has been removed.

Good:
-Good for new players without a substantial fleet
-Faster fleet movements
-Very good scouting/covering borders

Bad:
-Some of us have to disassemble our entire fleet and redo our entire infrastructure to accomodate for the new factories.
-Prices of existing drives on the market will drop sharply because of lack of demand. Then we are stuck with a bunch of useless drives because nobody wants them... (Maybe could be solved by being able to disassemble components of ships?)

Post your opinions.

Edit: Ok, I noticed that most people voted "Mostly Bad," and I'm guessing because of the mass disassembly/useless drives. I suggested a solution to the more long-term effects of the problems here.
Paul_Atreides

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 07:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i dont know hows about a H11 with the drives but i think the drives are not the problem.
Well we have to disassemble the smaller ships and there will be a new maximum of the combat power of the ships, but i dont think thats a problem.
I have only one big problem with the hit percentage of the small ships.
Because every big WP has a lot of H1 because they are the perfect shields.
And now they are even stronger because they nearly wont be hit anymore, and i dont think that H1 should be the strongest shield in the game Smile .
PaulAtreides

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 08:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with these changes. H1 are now extremely valuable and can fly as fast as H10, which I think is stupid. I will not be paying for pro user status anymore.
Gozer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The H11 is also relatively weaker. H10 hulls will be 6% harder to hit by L12, but H11 will only be 3%. H1's will still be easy to detroy, but it will need to be done by small ships. All of the smaller hulls are now more valuable. Fewer H4's will be required to take out an H10, since the level 6 weapons will hit more often and the level 12's less. Time to redo the math. I'm guessing fleet composition, and targeting, will need to be rethought.

It does seem that larger engines should increase maintenance costs, though.

Change is good.
Liam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you just need some ships with smaller weapons to destroy the H1 effective. A H11 with small weapons can destroy a lot of H1.
NobleSteve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem i have with this new method is that all of a sudden the huge upkeep cost associated with say a H10 which we have always paid knowing we gain the benefits of ships with big ranges can be matched by a smaller fleet of non-pro H4's. We will now see a huge rise in h4 fleets i believe as now they will make quick work of pro capital ships if used properly. Now they match them for range, fire first (as they always have), cost less to upkeep and are better at hitting the capital ships. I know i wont renew my pro account... ill not need to anymore, the advantages have swung to far to the non-pro.... its little use having more powerful guns if you can hit anything with them!
Gozer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We will now see a huge rise in h4 fleets i believe as now they will make quick work of pro capital ships if used properly.

Which means pro's may have to deploy more balanced fleets.
NobleSteve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, too right, we may be forced to field H11 with lesser weapons just to make them worth having against non-pros, yet we will still be paying 100000 credits a turn for them... and im interested to see how the numbers add up when someone like alphabravo or the like calculates the new number of H4 needed to beat say a H10... and if that number makes the cost of a H10 more than the 33 H4's it used to be.... as i said this could really affect the viability of pro usership
Liam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think, that a Non-Pro with his H4 can defeat a Pro with H9/H10/H11? He can't. But now he can destroy some ships of the Pro-fleet and I must say, I like this.

33 H4 cost 264.000 Credits upkeep. You can have 5 H10 or 2 H11 and one H10 for the same price. Which fleet is stronger? Think about it.
NobleSteve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

33 was needed to detroy it before it fired and now thats even less.... but your point is noted and i think ill just wait and see what happens before i discuss this more
e1567

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must say I looked at the formula and it looks like to me more like 15 h4's are needed to destroy a h10 now. I can see that maelstrom wants more non pro's but I think he will get less and less pros I mean I will not become a pro it is true that you can have more h10's that h4's based on upkeep but it is much easier to make h4's and takes less time. You can have a bunch of lv4 shipyards now to produce a huge amount of h4's.
I mean if he wants less pros i think he should do this I will not renew my pro user ship after this. I think someone who has toyed with the formulas should should try and figure this out more throughly.
UNSCRAPIER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just went pro to build an army of H10s but now this sucks.
I just decommed all of my older H4s, built a ton of factorys, and am about make an H10.
But what's the use if the H4s will be stronger?
Liam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 05:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merthos wrote:
Here a few numbers, how many H4 you need, to destroy a goliath with more than 98% assurance.

Code:

techlevel Goli      #H4       #surviving H4
12                    24        12
11                    25        13
10                    26        13
9                     27        13
8                     27        12
7                     28        13
6                     29        14
5                     30        14
4                     30        13
3                     31        14
2                     32        15
1                     32        14
Locutus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 06:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, so we all disassemble our massive fleets and aim to see who can build the most H1's or the most H3's with T1.
Liam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 06:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you blind? Even if your Golitath has tech 1 weapons, you need only 8 H4 more to destroy him. That's not very much. The hit difference between lvl 12 and lvl 1 is not so big as you think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Kosmor Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: