Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

Newbie Guide (version 0.03) -- revised during American Lit.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locutus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 15:27    Post subject: Newbie Guide (version 0.03) -- revised during American Lit. Reply with quote

On behalf of all the fellow Kosmor players in the universe,
WELCOME TO KOSMOR!

This guide is a revised version of Walker's original newbie guide, found here:
http://www.cosmor.com/forum_int/viewtopic.php?t=4418
Since a few things have been outdated since the posting, I have updated it to what is current in Kosmor. Most of the text can be credited to Walker.

First of all, here is a list of things you should do:

1. If you do not currently belong to a large house, or a wing of a large house, you should find the nearest one and join it. Fly your WP towards (0,0), and you should encounter other imperators soon. Otherwise, go to the next steps.
2. Contact your housemates via the house forum or in game mail (IGM), and learn more about your house policies.
3. Send your warplanet to some unowned planet near to your homeworld, to conquer it. (You do not need any ships for conquering grey/unowned planets.) The size of a planet reflects on its population size and resource Production.
4. Read this thread or the manual in your spare time, or ask people in your house what to do next.

Lexicon/Help/"X" --- The important stuff, he he he

On every page you will see three buttons in the bottom-left corner.

Lexicon:

This is basically the "price index" of the game - it shows how much each component/supply/building costs in resources and cash. Click on each tab/option to learn more about it.

Help:

This is the manual, and tells you basically how the game works. You should try to at least skim over all of the manual to learn more about the game. The technical data sheet (appendix) has some very useful technical information in it

X:

This gives you a free Pro Account, 200 planets, and 150 goliaths. (No, not really)
This just logs you out of Kosmor.

LEFT MENU:

Overview --- The real important stuff

The screen you see right after you log in is called the overview. On this page are several boxes showing you information about yourself, your house (alliance), the whole universe, the marketplace and previous day's battles. The most important thing for a new player is the information about the house, you can check there how strong it is, and how secure you should feel right now. ; )

Click on "show house ranking" and you can see how big/strong or small/weak your house is right now.

Now click on "go to house board" and look around. Here, you will find out about a lot of house policies, and current house events. If you are new, open a thread like "Hi, I'm new here!" (or if your house has one, go to the welcome thread). People will see that you are active and try to contact you. Some smaller houses' forums are less active, and you will get less responses. Remember, the best house is an active house!

Messages --- DO NOT SPAM ME!

Here you may read and write messages to other players in Kosmor. Their Kosmor mail account is just their username.

If the envelope in the upper right corner is light yellow (very hard to see, actually) you get an email every time someone sends you an IGM (In-Game-Message). Clicking on the envelope turns it grey and you won't get any more emails.

In the upper area of the screen you can switch between the messages you've sent and the ones you've received.

In the bottom area you write a new message or go to your house's forum.

Solar Systems --- Big sphere-shaped things

On the top menu (beside the planet name), you can see a general overview of all your planets. This is useful if you have an extremely large amount of planets.

By clicking on "solar systems" you will now see info about your homeplanet (HP). In the upper right corner you see what race inhabits it (race affects the population growth rate, as well as mining productivity; Ex. Morphoids grow quickly, but their mines do not produce a lot of resources. The opposite is true for Robot People). You can also see how many inhabitants live there and by what amount your population grew or shrank from yesterday.

The box in the upper left corner shows you a picture of your planet, its coordinates, its class and its diameter. The bigger your planet is, the higher the population cap is. (The maximum population is 30*diameter. Ex: a planet with 40000 km diameter may have a maximum population of 1,200,000.) For more about the population, check the links near the bottom of the post. Planet class affects its resource production (see "Mines").

The wide box in the middle of the screen is only important for Pro-users; they can build Pro buildings there and see what buildings already are built on this planet.

In the bottom part of the screen you may set the tax ratio and combat strategy, and you can see the cost and tax information concerning this single planet.

Taxation:
You can set a rate from 0% to 15%.
The lower it is the faster your population grows. With a 10% tax rate the population won't grow anymore (unless you have a Pro building, the leisure park, which would make it 13%). With more than 10%/13% the population shrinks.

Tax rank:
The higher the planet's tax rank is, the more % of it's tax income you have to pay as star redistribution tax. At rank 55, you have to pay 95% of its income to the SRT, making it hard to gain much at all. This helps prevent single large imperators from getting too powerful. Tax rank is determined by population (larger population, lower rank; largest planet is ranked #1).

Total cost:
The sum of the the upkeep costs of the planet's mines, factories, and shipyards.

Combat strategy:
This sets which the planet attacks first when in a battle: the strongest ship or weakest ship.

There is a menu on the upper right of the page:

Mines:
You can see how many mines of what type you have built at this planet, and the maximum number of mines you may build. Size 1 planets: 20 mines; Size 2: 40 mines; Size 3: 60 mines
You can also see the productivity of your mines (how many units they produce per mine per day; Ex: A titanium productivity of 15 and 20 titanium mines built means you produce 15*20 or 300 units of titanium per day.) The race of your planet affects how much you mine per day.
The lower right corner tells you how much upkeep you pay for the mines on this planet.
Certain classes of planets produce more of a certain resource. It is usually best to max out your mines on this one resource, and forget about the others. Look in the Appendix in the Help Manual for more info.

Factories:
This page is divided into two parts: supply factories on the left and component factories on the right
To produce components/supplies, click on "Production" below the factory that that you want. A Level 2 factory may only produce stuff up to Tech Level 2.
Most people try to build factories on your HP, so you can't ever lose those factories.
The best way to build something is to go to the component factories and click "Produce Inputs" below the item you want produced. That way, you do not have to go to each individual factory to produce a supply unit.

Shipyards:
Here you can build, demolish, or reconfigure ships. Each shipyard can build ships up to its own tech level. Ex: a level 4 shipyards can build only H4s or less.

Stock:
Here you see what is in this planet's stockpile. You can choose to send an amount of resources/supply/components to any planet you own. You can also choose to send resources every day, and/or to send all availble resources of that type.
As a general rule, most people send stock to their home planets in order to build things in their factories.

Shipment:
Here you see the actual shipments to/from the planet, and the time that they will arrive.

Navigation --- I'm lost!!!

The thing you see in the middle of your navigation map with your name on it is your warplanet. If this is your first day, your warplanet is stationed on your homeplanet. Your own planets are yellow, your superordinate imperators' planets are blue, and your subordinates' planets are orange. Grey/white planets are unowned.

Click on empty space with the mouse (not on a planet).
Now you can see the coordinates of the place you clicked on, and as well as the distance from your warplanet to this place.
Now click on a planet. You do not get the coords shown, but information like what its type, size, owner, and distance from your WP.
Brighter planets are of larger size and vice versa.

Planets and WPs that are underlined have ships orbiting them. By clicking on them you can see how many ships they are, what they are called, and the owner of those ships.

As a general rule, owned planets without any ships are still stronger than your single WP. Do not try to attack planets of other players with only your warplanet, unless you want to join their house.

Planet size:
This tells the size, base on the diameter of the planet (see "Solar Systems" for more info).

Class:
Different classes of planets produce different resources better than others. Look in the Appendix in the Help Manual for more info.

House:
If the planet is unowned, there will not be a house/owner name shown. Owned planets show you who the owner is and what house he belongs to.

Distance:
Distance tells you, unsurprisingly, the distance between your WP and the target. Your warplanet moves between 59 and 71 LY each day. Ideally you move 60 ly, but there is a little rounding error when the game cycle runs. You can also travel faster using the jumpdrive/hyperdrive (see "Warplanet").

Warplanet --- big, less sphere-shaped, things

House members:
You have 1000 housemembers to start with, and every time you conquer an unowned planet you move 33/66/100 house members to the planet, depending on if the planet is Size 1/2/3. By conquering others' planets, the house members on his planets defect to you.

Combat Strategy:
(see "Solar Systems"

Orbit:
You may allow other members of your house to use your warplanet as base for their ships. You should allow this as long as there is no reason not to. This lets others protect you with more/stronger ships when you need help.

Jumpdrive/Hyperdrive:
This is your WP's version of a Ferrari Enzo. Basically, you can use this device to jump 150 ly on a turn in the course you were traveling. However, this device has a 5-day cooldown time, and you have to wait 5 days before using it again.
Independent imperators have the option of using the hyperdrive, allowing them to jump up to 300 or 600 ly in a single turn. There is still a 5 day cooldown.

Ships --- I sunk your Leviathan!

On the top menu, there is an overview that lets you see the location, power, name, and combat strategy of your ships.

You can scroll through your ships here and give them commands about where to move/attack during the next turn. Ships at the same location can be given "Fleet Orders," so that they all do the same thing next turn. The red circle in the map shows you the maximum travel radius of the selected ship. Click in that map to select your ship's destination, then choose "move to..." in the next box. Due to a rounding error, your ships can move up to 0.99 more than their actual specifications.

Combat Strategy:
(see "Solar Systems"

Morale and Experience Points:
A ship gains XP based on how many ships it has destroyed in combat. A ship's morale raises if the ship has successfully participated in combat. (If you do not have any money, your ships' morale will become mutinous, and the on next turn if you are still bankrupt, the ships will disappear.)
Morale and XP helps the ship's accuracy in combat. The base accuracy for weapons is 65%?

Marketplace --- Damn capitalists... ; )

At the marketplace you may sell and buy resources, supplies and components.

For ordering goods you need to have enough money to purchase the amount you order for the maximum price. Otherwise, you won't be able to send this order to the marketplace.
Price tells you the maximum price this good was traded during for last turn. Vol is the volume of goods that were traded. Sell/Buy is the amount of offered units and and the amount of units people demanded.

In the upper right corner, you may specify whether to buy or sell goods. You may also view your orderbook, the record of queued transactions during this turn.

When you click on the name of the good on the "Buy" menus, you will see detailed market information. These include charts showing the amounts and prices of this good over the time, the max price, etc. You can specify in how many units you want to sell/buy and for what price. If you are selling, you are then directed to a screen where you decide from what planet the goods are sold. If you buy goods, you can decide where to deliver goods.

Finance

This page is basically a very detailed explanation of transactions in your empire during the last turn.

Hierarchy --- Getting to the top of the social ladder

On this chart, you can see how your house is organized. The person left from your name is your direct superior. Click on that envelope next to his name and you can send him a death threat and such.
If you click on his name, you get directed to his level of the hierarchy, and you can see his superior and his other subordinates. The same goes for clicking on the names of your subordinates.
You can use this page to set taxes for your subordinates, meaning they pay up to 15% of all their income to you each day. Most houses have a 0% tax philosophy, to promote loyalty and a higher degree of independence.

HELPFUL LINKS
Mepha's Kosmor Online Tools
http://kosmor.ath.cx/
This is a tool that Processes all of the new items in the GN. Very useful to keep track of battles without having to look through all the threads!

Alphabravo's Map Tools
(sorry, no link; please contact Alphabravo)
This site contains a shipcounter, a SVG map joiner, and a tool that extracts much useful information from an SVG map. There is also a tool that can extract a small square out of an SVG and create a new file.

"Universe" Thread
http://www.cosmor.com/forum_int/viewtopic.php?t=7622
This thread contains a lot of information about how the universe looks on a large scale.

"How big the population on planets?" Thread
http://www.cosmor.com/forum_int/viewtopic.php?t=5034
This thread tells about the formula used to calculate population growth and taxation.

Surst's Tool Page
http://home.arcor.de/surst
Original thread: http://www.cosmor.com/forum_int/viewtopic.php?t=6106
This page contains a lot of tools in English and German. These include: shipcounter, battle simulator, ship cost calculator, planet growth calculator, and a lot more. They are all downloadable, so try them out!

Ok, I admit this guide was a bit long, but I hope you learned a lot from it. Have fun!

Originally by:
Walker

Revised by:
Locutus

Submissions/corrections to this guide are welcome. Also, I would appreciate it if a mod would sticky this.

Changelog:
0.01 - Made guide
0.02 - Fixed a few typos, removed "SPAM"
0.03 - Created Changelog, added Alpha's .svg tool
0.04 - Fixed Typo, reposted, slimed

Last edited by Locutus on Sun Jan 07, 2007 14:06; edited 6 times in total
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... do i give the link out publicly?

sure most people already know it...
but then i wont know roughly how many people are using it...

well... put it like this:
it's the best set of tools for what it does around (sorry mepha... but my shipcounter rocks Wink
and the 2 SVG tools are unique as far as im aware, with the Summary one being almost crucial for any big players / house leaders

and...
anyone who asks me will be told where to find them... barring exceptionally exceptional circumstances... it's just that i like to know approximately how big my user base is without tracking every IP address or implementing a page counter or anything - just for a guide of desirability and importance

if it were just me, i'd make it suite my styles and experiment on the live version as i will (well.. it pretty much is Wink )
but if i have 200 users, it'll mean that i'll experiment less, and make the design nicer etc

also, if you use it, and have a suggestion/bug/query - just let me know... IGM or ICQ or whatever
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a general rule, owned planets without any ships are owned are still stronger than your single WP.

Better safe then sorry (about forgetting the owned Razz), what?

And i'm not quite sure about the jokes you made, e.g. the thing about the free Pro Account or the Spam. Perhaps someone takes it seriously?
Agnar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a mod, i dont like seeing the word SPAM, i got to admit, anything that encourages is to be discouraged! Yet, i liked the joke about X being the button for a free pro account etc...

Would you be prepared to revise this guide again after discussion Locutus? If so, post a clean version in another thread, after discussion here, and i will slime the guide, and then close it. ok?

For my own suggestions, i would suggest that under stock you mention that most players send all goods back to their homeworld (at least when they start), and that for factories, most players build them all on their homeworld, so that they will not fall into enemy hands (again, at least at first).
Locutus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit for SPAM! (oh n0es! j00 g07 5p4/\/\3d!!! kekeke!!!)
Sorry.

Anyways, if they want to spam, they can spam me all they want ; ).

@ Agnar:
So basically, you want me to check for typos, and remove all the jokes poking fun at capitalists (as well as other corny jokes)?
Can I get a more detailed list of what you think is good? Also, if you can give me input, creatively boost your post count by doing so.

As a general statement though, I do not have a lot of time with athletics and a slurry of college classes whilst in high school. However, if American Studies continues to be as boring and uneducational, then I may have a bit more time than expected.
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Lit...
this is the complete works of .... well, i was going to saw George Bernard Shaw - but he was an irishman based in england.... um... Maybe H.G. Wells.... no, english again

ah, it seems i actually cannot think of .... Ah yes... Samuel Langhorne Clemens - born Conneticut... that's American

yes - well.. i have managed to think of 1 famous american novellist after a few failures Wink

no wonder the subject is so boring Wink
Shakespeare may be boring and overrated... but America's just too young to have good literature... the same with music and culture... america wasnt invented yet when the mozarts, beethovens and bach's of this world were composing... sure, i can think of 1 reasonable piece of american music at a pish... Samuel Barber wrote some good moder classical* music
there is also a building (or maybe more than 1) at my school, which is older than almost certainly 99.990% of american buildings - maybe older than any

it just seems to me that - whatever people may think about it (my oppinions arent driving this post - it's not a "we hate america" post or anything) - america is a culturally weak nation

*classical as in type, not as in specificly
Locutus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to any Americans out there, but a good number of Americans themselves would call our school's humanities programs propaganda.

And so another thread derails itself...
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the subject of my tools - a new one was released late last.... early this morning

those who wish to give out a small SVG file to a subordinate for example can now extract a square from their SVG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Questions and Answers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: