Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

Planetary Transfers & Market Sales/Purchases
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would these be desirable?
#1 is a good idea
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
#2 is a good idea
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
I like them both
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
They are both bad ideas
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Ok...but with modifications (comments?)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

kautzinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys. That are exactly my two points:

1/ if you have to do it every day, you have to be willing to spend the time. And if you are willing to spend the time and vary your prices according to the market (watching amounts and prices) you deserve to make the sale.

see my posts above: if yes, a period of 3-5 days would be a compromise...

2/ to avoid people using the market as a transport mechanism is a good thing. Cause the market place should be the market place and nothing else. So far so good.
So you stabalize the market in a way that you avoid market prices being fixed that nobody would pay normally. But it should not be a goal to stabalize market prices that come from real orders!

to be continued Wink
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both ideas very much, but do priorize the standing orders idea, because the market would need more active sellers/buyers.

(Many things could be made "schedulable", like goods and ship production..., but this would mean a lot of changes to the game.)

Bye,
Maelstroem
kautzinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 07:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. so Agnar will be happy...

Other questions concerning the market place:
I know how market orders are "connected" in standard:
Highest bid meets lowest sale prize. Prize to be paid is mid point.
But I would like to know:

1/ Do you first meet highest and lowest, then second highest and second lowest and so on?

2/ What if 2 buyers want to pay the same prize and 1 seller offers the right prize but not enough goods?

I.e.:
A sells 1.000.000
B wants to buy 1.000.000 for the same prize as
C wants to buy 2.000.000

Do B and C get the goods 1/3 to 2/3
Or does C get it all becuase he posted the bigger order?

(asked this already in an older topic that was directly dealing with these questions but I did not get an answer yet)
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 05:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

first the price is found (only one price), as you described (match highest bid with lowest sales price, take middle value).

Then, all sales orders below or at the determined price are evaluated. As the orders are sorted by ascending price, sales orders with lower sales prices do have a higher chance to be "in market".

The same strategy is applied to buy orders, but they are sorted by falling prices, so that orders with higher bid values have a more likely chance to be in market.

Second question: If there are identic bid/sales prices, the order is random/undetermined, that means, either B or C gets the goods A sells.

Bye,
Maelstroem
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maelstroem wrote:
first the price is found (only one price), as you described (match highest bid with lowest sales price, take middle value).

situation:

i buy 1 unit of plasma for 1 million credits tomrrow
someone sells 1 unit of plasma for 1 credit

match highest and lowest would mean that the price would be half a million per unit

Quote:
Then, all sales orders below or at the determined price are evaluated. As the orders are sorted by ascending price, sales orders with lower sales prices do have a higher chance to be "in market".

so, noone else can buy any?
total cost = half a million credits, reward - killing the marketplace for a day

somehow, i think this isnt exactly what happens, and that you're giving us a rather simplified model... but im sure it's too complicated to express entirely in words Razz
kautzinger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 05:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's definitely a little more complex or let me call it: no as easy to handle as you, alphabravo, described.

Today on 345 I tried to sell m4 but could not:

Sales transaction failed (...).
The potential buyer with the highest willingness to pay had offered 7000 credits per unit.
Unfortunately, other sellers had offered at a lower price than yourself and supply exceeded demand. Thus, your higher priced sales offer could not be accepted!

But: The fixed prize is 1872.
The midpoint should at least have been 3500.
So what happened?

Well, first I am sure that sell and buy orders with yourself are not executed, or at least they are not considered to calculate the prize.

Btw:
It is not that I want to crack the system, I just want to know how it works as far as possible. From that point on I can make my strategies for the marketplace, depending on the others players offers. And that's how I would like to play the game (according to my opinion about standing orders above).
Agnar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 08:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to buy just a little plasma today at 2500 credits per unit.

I succeeded in purchasing 2 units at 71 creds........ Like kautzinger, i thought that i would succeed in buying some for at *least* 1250 credits.

I obviously dont understand, though i thought i did.
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my former message "highest bid price" and "lowest ask price" are matched is not right. The market is modelled after a basic microeconomic market (the game was written when I was studying economics), with the market price being where the (rising) supply curve and the (falling) demand curve meet. Every transaction left of the market point is executed. For a more thorough explanation, read on here:

http://spot.colorado.edu/~kaplan/econ2010/section3/section3-main.html

Bye,
Maelstroem
kautzinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the introduction into the basic of economics. Wink

I like that!
So it is not easy to manipulate the market with single orders as long as others are trading too (of course that was obsious but good to be sure). And it offers you enough possibilities to buy and sell with varying prices.

But if standing orders are...
ok, ok...
I already made up my mind...
Cool
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Smile thanks maeli ^^
i guessed it probably used some economic principle and intersection of S and D curves... but my knowledge of economics is rather rusty.
looking at it the other way, i now know a case study for microeconomics ^^ our marketplace Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: