Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

Extremely Large maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulAtreides

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 23:14    Post subject: Extremely Large maps Reply with quote

I am having a problem running my empire: I cannot get a map of it. The old static image map, which I loved, is limited to 6000x6000 LY (see post below), and my map is more than 10500LY along a side.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 18:51 Post subject: Reply with quote
You can now access *both* SVG and normal empire overview maps (using the two corresponding command buttons above the normal navigation view).

We strongly suggest, that you upgrade to svg, as the "old" empire overview map will soon be limited to 6000x6000 pixels (lightyears) resolution and 8 bit color depth.

Bye,
Maelstroem

My SVG map is so large now that it freezes and crashes in both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. It is unusable, and I have a P4 2.53 GHz with 1.5 GB RAM and a 256 MB ATI RADEON 6800 graphics card, free of virsuses and malware. All these problems seem to come from the large size of my map.

Can the limitation of 6000 LY be increaced on the old empire ovierview map? I liked being able to quickly scroll across the galaxy in one of those huge windows. SVG is problematic with images as large as my map.

If not, is there a way to force my map size to display only 6000 sq LY? Then I can have at least half my map back.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
The selected region enfolds 112328020 LY2 and contains xxx warplanets and xxxxx solar systems.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Agnar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 03:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suffer with a very large map-size, and it can cause problems when zooming, or moving around the map.

I do find that my computer copes much better if i first download the whole svg and use the local copy rather than browse the map online.

It isnt ideal, so i would also appreciate some sort of fix if this is possible
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 05:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do have a tool which takes most of the relevant information out of a map... and gives you a navigation link to each object, and a built in distance tool

if you want it... send me an IGM
Nikoy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one problem which is maybe related to the one discussed here. I couldn't find something closer so I will write it here.

I do not know is this a bug or not, but my *.svg map was always looking quite strange... What I mean: The whole map is on a black background, right? But on my map this black space has some limits. To the most south-east it ends with sharp borders and white space appear. If you zoom the map out very much you will see a black quarter (background) and in it the radar circles are placed.
So far, so good.
But:
Seems that my entire map is placed only in the lower right quadrant of that quarter! Since some time while the map size grew some of the planets and WPs begun to stick out of the black into the white space. Now more and more are sticking out and it already started to look pretty oddly... Often this sharp change black/white is disturbing for the eye but not that is my only point...
I am concerned that my map is actually 4 times the size I need it! Yes, the 3/4 of it are just black space, but isn't it really strange the map to look that way?

The question is mainly to Locutus and alphabravo - is this normal guys? Or we should write it to the bug reports?

Thanks, Nikoy.
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered this before, i was looking for a player and found him several thousand lightyears in the white or so.. i think alpha explained to me why this does happen, but i can't remember. Crying or Very sad
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The svg map has a fake black background.
It's generated with the following:
Code:
  <rect x="-10000" y="-10000" width="20000" height="20000" fill="#000000" />

that is to say that there's a black square centered about 0/0, going to 10k in each direction.

The map itself is done by taking the kosmor coordinates, finding the furthest thing to the north, and the furthest to the west... giving a bit of extra space, and then setting the latitude and longitude as 0/0 in map coordinates. (therefore all coordinates in your map, and coordinates in the game are different, but relative (the map is basically just the real positions moved so that everything is positive **))

Therefore, if there are 2 points with horizontal (east-west) separation of greater than 10000 (10k) LY, or 2 points with vertical separation greater than 10000LY, then you will have run out of black square when you get to that point.

A possible fix would be to change the line I listed above in the file and change it so that x and y are both 0 rather than -10k, this will give you the black box only in the 1/4 of the map in which the map data is held.

OR... Nikoy - it's not impossible to get in touch with me... I'm sure I can think of something which could help you.

** aside to Maelstroem - I would be interested to know (/happy to discuss with you) why the map needs to have positive coordinates - I would imagine that it's for a number of reasons - but the most likely I see is that it's because the generating svg script was made by taking the png generating one, and modifying it - and that does need things in positive space. Whereas keeping the svg as original coordinates would save a bit of power and would hold a bit more useful information in the map.
Nikoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see - so when the guys to the north and west move, so does and the black square.
Well, it seems that 10K LYs is not enough - they are too far away. Soon all of the Galaxy core will go into the "white".

I think Maelstroem should find some kind of solution...

I propose the Moderator moves that into the "Bug reports" section.

----------

@ alpha - thanks I will contact you about that.
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not really a bug. I would guess Maelstroem knows what, why and that it does happen, he just didn't think about it back when he made it.

Also i don't think it's important enough to fix it right now, and Kosmor 2 will probably/most likely use something completely different.

If it makes you happy, just create a bug report for it over there. This thread here isn't clean enough to just fly over to find out whats all about anyways, with all that discussion etc.
Nikoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, maybe is better to forget those bug reports for now till Kosmor 2 comes...

What makes me more happy is that now I know that out there 10 000 LYs to the N/W there is a WP and it is moving! Respect! Respekt!
Hey you there - don't you feel a bit lonely?

I know exactly where it is and the game tells me that, which isn't fare to that person, but this must be fixed in the next version, if not I will write a report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Questions and Answers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: