Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

K2 Carrier Class: Request for Input
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 16:35    Post subject: K2 Carrier Class: Request for Input Reply with quote

Hi all,

as you surely are aware, the development of the next version of this game is ongoing. It will bring a lot of upgrades to the user interface and many new things to the gameplay.
As such, a new ship class, the CARRIER class will be added.

These ships will likely be called
H13: Titan
H14: Nova
H15: Atlas
H16: Behemoth

The carrier class will allow
a) To "siege" enemy planets (and extract part of the taxes, resources, production)
b) Carrying corvettes (H5-H8 ) using specialized hangars. The carried corvettes will have halved daily upkeep costs and will not be visible when examining a fleet. (By the way, using the same mechanism, Battleships (H9-H12) will be able to carry fighters (H1-H4) using figher bays).

I now have graphical drafts and/or complete 3D models for all ships excluding H13, H15 and H16.
You have the chance of designing your own carrier ship (as I am missing three designs), by just submitting a top-down and side-draft or by linking to some nice reference ships you found on the web (please do not directly embed via the IMG tag, just link to them). I would prefer to see some of your own designs, but links are okay Wink. You can really help the development.

Thanks for your participation!
Maelstroem

Last edited by Maelstroem on Wed Aug 19, 2009 08:31; edited 1 time in total
Giner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 17:41    Post subject: Re: K2 Carrier Class: Request for Input Reply with quote

Maelstroem wrote:
Hi all,

as you surely are aware, the development of the next version of this game is ongoing. It will bring a lot of upgrades to the user interface and many new things to the gameplay.
As such, a new ship class, the CARRIER class will be added.

These ships will likely be called
H13: Titan
H14: Nova
H15: Atlas
H16: Behemoth

The carrier class will allow
a) To "siege" enemy planets (and extract part of the taxes, resources, production)
b) Carring corvettes (H5-H8 ) using specialized hangars. The carried corvettes will have halved daily upkeep costs and will not be visible when examining a fleet. (By the way, using the same mechanism, Battleships (H9-H12) will be able to carry fighters (H1-H4) using figher bays).

I now have graphical drafts and/or complete 3D models for all ships excluding H13, H15 and H16.
You have the chance of designing your own carrier ship (as I am missing three designs), by just submitting a top-down and side-draft or by linking to some nice reference ships you found on the web (please do not directly embed via the IMG tag, just link to them). I would prefer to see some of your own designs, but links are okay Wink. You can really help the development.

Thanks for your participation!
Maelstroem

I especially like b) this will encourage a wider variety of ship building and eliminate the worry of CP/Cr efficiency.

Very good Maeli!

Also about the ship name, please consider switching Behemoth and Titan around.

Behemoth according to the bible seems like a large animal/most powerful animal in the world which can be considered a mythical creature like the Leviathan, whereas in Greek Mythology the Titans were the Elder Gods before the Olympians overthrew them, it would make sense for the bigger the better and you can't get bigger than Elder gods.
Gozer
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about submitting actual models?

Any chance of seeing a preview of what has been designed, for a point of reference?

Dreadnought is a nice name.
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 08:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your reference:

A design for the H6 "Elite Class" medium corvette:

Bye,
Maelstroem
Cleric
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! i can't wait for these soon to come updates! I did not know that you were looking for drawing submissions for ships, i will try to make some time to draw up a ship or two, and if i can i will design them in AUTOCAD and reder it in 3d so that it will be better. =)
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread was posted, i thought about what would make a good ship. I thought of the ones i liked i movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, or games like Wing Commander etc., and even though i still thought "this looks cool" when looking at them, just ripping them isn't a solution. And removing essential features, to avoid ripping, would make them less cool

Then, right now, i saw a demonstration picture of a map for a Half-Life 2 mod, the author had some basic models to show his concept. Then i noticed a model of a ship there, and i somehow knew it. I couldn't immediately tell what ship it was, but i knew that i knew it, and i was pretty sure about where, and i even remember the name.

It was a Corellian/Rebel Blockade Runner/Corvette, the first ship the first Star Wars movie showed back in 1977. While looking it up to confirm my thoughts, i came across a site of a artist who drew lots of ships, some from the Star Wars universe. He wanted to create a carrier for the Empire, so he decided to borrow something typically associated with it:

http://www.panicstruckpro.com/revelations/fanzine/fanzine_files/04/adam/adam6.jpg

If you see that in a Star Wars reference, nobody will question who it belongs too.

When i saw the thumbnail, i thought of another ship, the TCS Midway from Wing Commander: Prophecies, because of the role as a carrier and the trench in the middle.

So all 3 ships are instantly recognizable if you see them, and there is no doubt to who they belong (well, except the Corellian Corvette, which was used by both sites..but i don't think they ever used it in any movie or game, it was nearly always the Rebellion..and if you want something looking like its Empire, well, thats easy as shown above).

And thats what i want for Kosmor.

Ships that look like built for the purpose they serve, and easily recognizable because of the design. A carrier tends to have lots of hangars, easily accesable. Corvettes with lots of smaller weapons, relative big engines to allow them to be fast..Cruisers with powerful main weapons, probably notable along the whole length of the hull etc.

Ships intended for atmospherical flight could still have wings etc.

Probably not easy, and most times i think people don't know if a ships is recognizable until people still recognize it ten years later, but thats what should be aimed for.

What should not be done is like they did in Star Trek. While the Enterprise certainly is something recognizable when you compare her to other ships, from Star Wars etc., i think lots of the Federation ships look the same, just the size is different:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/3067937655_9dc5db6b1b.jpg

Most have some kind of disc, the long stretched drive, the connection between lowered/raised etc.

This is not unusual, but it makes ships less recognizable, and i think the Federation is a prime example, as from the smallest to the biggest ship, the have a similar design. Thats probably correct, even logical in universe, when the same people designed and built all these ships in universe etc, but more difference is better.

Of course this does not mean every ship should have a completely unique look, a corvette can still look like a small frigate, but it should be more like Star Destroyer/Super Star Destroyer (with a more sleek design, less ragged etc.) instead of Constituion/Excelsior/Galaxy/Sovereign. And some should be completely different in design, the fighters and shuttles for example shouldn't be miniature cruisers, especially as Kosmor has 4 "races" and lots of different rulers, who certainly would not want their ships to look like their neighbours, so different designs would be common..

And to give a "reason" why everyone still uses the same for the same ship size: It prove to be the best. Ruler A designed the best Fighter, Ruler B the best carrier and Ruler C the best Frigate, and people tend to pick the best they can, so other designs for ships of size X where forgotten.

Even better would obviously be if there where several designes for every size...

Don't know if thats any help at all, as you where more looking for finished (or at least concepts) designs, instead of wishes, but that would be too easy anyways, right? Twisted Evil
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 06:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. It was helpful Wink
Lady_Sjet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurion states the truth, especially when he stated that there are 4 different races in Kosmor, but considering that each race is spread through the galaxy on so many different planets is it really the 'same' race. maybe, maybe not, but the point is that each race would have designs of ships that would be different from others and again only the best designs would have survived.

from a player standpoint though the ship designs should be of a type that allows for recognition of them, as stated carriers would have alot of hanger bays, destroyers would have lots of weapon ports, fighters and interceptors would be sleek and fast looking. since the other day, i've also given thought to ship design and have covered much of the same ground that he has thinking back to movies and such, but have also expanded into an area that he hasn't and have been looking at ships from different space based games that i have like homeworld, conquest, reach for the stars, outforce and so on as well as various different science fiction books i own which is a library in and of itself.

out of all of this three things stand out, one) the ships are futuristic looking in some way, two) almost every ship is recognizable for what it is, and three) almost all of them show some aspect of human design. I suppose this last is inevitable as they were all designed by humans and not by aliens, but the point is that it is feasible to design ships that appear alien even with human traits popping up in the designs.

As such i have also begun to think on different designs trying very hard to avoid copying what i have seen, alas i do not have an autocad program that will allow me to skin the designs i make but i do have PSP 9 which when i get the designs draw up and scanned in will allow me to 'paint' them for you, all i need and ask for is time.

Lady Sjet
House Ulthwe
Angron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone played sins of a solar empire? the ships in that would be a great starting point as each class of ship looks exactly like it should. anyone want pics?
Cleric
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angron wrote:
has anyone played sins of a solar empire? the ships in that would be a great starting point as each class of ship looks exactly like it should. anyone want pics?

i would like some pics, i am working on some different design possibilities for ships. i just havnt had as much time to put towards as i would like.
Lady_Sjet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have two designs drawn up and placed into PSP 9. and have been 'skinning' them using bits and pieces from different graphics that i have. now i just need to figure out how to get them from my comp to the internet. the easiest solution is of course for me to go buy a USB jump drive, which i have needed for some time but just never got around to getting.

if everything goes right and i don't lose data due to the prog locking up i should have the first ship ready and on the internet for viewing by this time next week. there will of course be two different pics, one for use in the game and one that will NOT be able to be used but will show size relations.

Lady Sjet
House Ulthwe
Lady_Sjet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well i shouldn't have promised, so for that i apologize. I bought a 4gb USB jump drive sunday, and tried it out on my system monday afternoon, unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I'm missing cab drivers for it.

Sooooo............. does anyone have or know of any win98 cab drivers for USB flash drives? if you do know where i can get them let me know please, and if you have them you can try to email them to me at S_Synn@operamail.com.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Lady Sjet
House Ulthwe
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 03:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lady Sjet,

thanks for drawing the designs - if you have still trouble getting those images online, you can mail them to kosmor@knoblach.de and I will publish them here.

Bye,
Maelstroem
Lady_Sjet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thanks for drawing the designs - if you have still trouble getting those images online, you can mail them to kosmor@knoblach.de and I will publish them here.

the problem isn't so much hosting them, as i could do that with my photobucket account. the problem is getting them from my comp to another comp with internet access, where i can then upload them.

and that problem has become substantial as my computer crashed last weekend, this means that i cannot get the painted images at all now, HOWEVER, i have a small solution, i can take the sketches i made to a copy store and have them scanned and placed on a disk, from there i can get them to you. the only problem is that they will not be painted or skinned images that you could use right away they will be nothing but sketches and drawings, buit atleast you'll have that much which is better than nothing.

if i can get the comp up and working again soon i'll still try to get you the painted images as well.

Lady Sjet
House Ulthwe
Lady_Sjet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've gotten a freind to take care of scanning the images and getting them onto the internet for me, as soon as he emails themj to me then i will be able to email them to you hoepfully he will do this soon but as the library here will be closed until monday the 30th i probably won't be able to do anything about getting the images to you until then.

have a good holiday and see you all on monday.

Lady Sjet
House Ulthwe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Kosmor Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: