Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

K2 - Interruptable Linear Drive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 14:18    Post subject: K2 - Interruptable Linear Drive? Reply with quote

@Maelstroem: Knowing you, you won't post it here too, so i took the liberty to create this thread. If you do post it, no harm done i guess, just edit all my stuff out Smile

@Community: It's about whether or not the new jump drive should be interruptable, so that you do can fly to targets (e.g. planets) thare are 150 LY away in one day, instead of 2.5 (60 LY, 60 LY, 30 LY) or 3.5 (300, and then 150 back.

While the post is in German, i thought you should know about it, too. So just use Google etc. to translate it for yourself, if you don't know German. It might not be always correct, but good enough to give you some understanding on what he is saying:

http://www.kosmor.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16709
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 07:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aurion, you know me and my limited time too well, it seems Wink.

Comments on the topic "interruptable linear drive" (= new jump drive) for K2 are very welcome.
Nikoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurion, you are right that with the help of web translator one can get a rough idea what the discussion is about, but this is not enough!

This is a delicate matter and we need to understand the details, not just the topic.

As much as I got from the first posts here is that in K2 all imperators will be able to jump 300 LYs only (as it was before). The discussion is about should it be possible the Jump Drive (JD) to be interrupted when a planet one wants to conquer is closer than 300 LYs.

The details I do not get and they are important.

Please, can someone who speaks German write here the main points that are importnt so we understand it better?
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear emperors,

i'm thinking about the WP linear drive (new wp jump drive)..to explain - a new drive is needed because there is no infinite speed in K2. With this, the old jump drive won't work anymore.

The plan is a range of 300 LY for the linear drive. It accelerates the WP from 60 LY/day to 300 LY/day and is available once every five day for each player (wether independent or not).

Now i wonder if after activation, the 300 LY always have to be flown, or wether the game processormay deactivate the drive at a nearby target well in advance.

Example: A player is 150 LY from a to be conquered planet and activates the linear drive. In the event of aborting he will conquer the planet after half a turn. In the other case, he will shoots 150 LY beyond the target, turns 180° and conqures the planet after 2.5 days (60 LY/day) (for a total of 3.5 days, would have been faster without linear drive).

With aborting, after the activation of the linear drive a wp can easily reach objects within 300 LY within one turn, e.g. foreign wps or fleets that can not flee so quickly.

Without aborting, targets almost exactly 300 LY away can still be conqured quickly, e.g if you sneak up in radar shadow, then you can quickly reach a distant target planet, but you have no chance to catch a fleet with the wp that can fly faster than 300 LY/day.

I have an opinion on the subject, but i would be interested in what you think.

Note: WPs in linear flight can be intercepted by other wps as well as fleets as of now. However this only works when a fleet intercepts an approaching wp (with active linear drive) (they are to slow to follow).

Would welcome constructive feedback.

Ciao and have a nice weekend,
Maelstroem

---

Somehow i think the google translator worked better before, i noticed that both directions are quite funny to read, so i actually had to do something now... If something is not clear, and you think its because of the translation, feel free to ask.

Last edited by Aurion on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:06; edited 1 time in total
Nikoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the transltion! Its clear now.
And what the people in the German forum are saying? Are they Pro or Against this?
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people are in favor of an interruptable linear drive, though only like five different people answere.
Assisi
Councillor of the House

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 09:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I didn't quite understood Sad
Aurion ... when you will have time ... can you please explain a bit more ?

I am really interested in this but I cannot tell my opinion if I don't get it ...

Thank you !
Lady_Sjet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 02:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i can gather reading the above posts, we will be able to A) use normal reaction engines(impulse engines) to travel 60ly, or B)use the JD(hyperspace) 300ly, and this will be available to everyone.

the question then being posed is should we be able to deactivate the JD drive if we wish to jump, but don't want to jump 300ly's, in effect we'd be pulling an emergency maneuver enabling us to drop out of hyperspace sooner than the projected jump of 300ly's.

so to conquer a planet that is 150ly's away, we can either use regular engines to travel 60 ly's a day, requiring 3 days to reach the target, or we can under the system we have now jump 300 ly's which will cause us to overshoot the planet and have to travel 150ly's back to the target requiring 4 days to reach it, OR (and this is the important part) we can activate the jump drive, then set the Jump Drive to drop out of hyperspace at 150 ly's rather than 300 ly's.

But, i have to ask why would we want to implement that system, when we have the choice right now to jump 150, 300, or 600ly's? granted lesser imperators can only jump 150, but why not keep the choices of distance travelled that we currently have and just give the same choices to everyone, rather than a limited few?

i do like the idea of an interuptable drive though, i can see good uses for it, IE: we're flying through black space, but we set the interface to interrupt the jump in the event that either an enemy planet or enemy WP appears on radar, and vice versa, we can choose not to interrupt the jump, even though enemy systems may appear and continue to jump the full distance regardless.

this would make for an interesting dynamic, as a chased imperator, would not simply be able to jump away, and then turn back, causing their opponent to over jump them based on their last position. because as soon as the chasing WP comes in range of the WP it's chasing it would drop from Hyperspace even though it may have only travelled 100 ly's.

i already did something similar to this when Gondor was chasing me, i jumped away from him and while his JD was charging i changed directions and travelled in a different direction, by the time he was able to jump after me i was no longer where he expected, and the next day, i jumped back to the area he had just jumped out of, with an interruptible JD i wouldn't have been able to do that, as he'd have dropped out of hyperspace as soon as he came in range.

I hope this makes things clearer for some, and at the same time makes clear on the ideas of why i thinkl this is a good idea. if not i'm sorry, don't know how to make it clearer.

Lady Sjet
House Ulthwe
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 08:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assisi, further questions regarding that matter? Will gladly discuss them...

As for now, in K2 the linear drive mode will be interruptable, meaning that you can activate it once every five days and get accelerated, linear movement for up to one turn. You could reach a target, which is for example 100LYs away in exactly one turn, when you activate the linear drive. The activation costs in protonium units (fuel) will depend on carried fleet size.
Nikoy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I have a feeling that this forum is lagging far behind the real pace of the development of Version II. Sad

Is it possible that here also are published the news in the development (all rules, features, etc.)? Or is there some place where we can read them all (in English)?
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikoy, the deal is that i am currently a one man army developing stuff usually done by a five man squad, i cannot keep all dev ideas up to date here, or we will never see k2. I also started to delay gameplay-uncritical features (such as house board), so that we can see a faster beta, which will be english btw. To get a good idea what will be in k2, youŽd need someone to translate the threads referenced in the first posting of this thread...
http://www.kosmor.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15719
mb google translate (which got pretty good lately) can help...
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google translation is a bit tricky, the last post i tried it with, it was really funny.

If you got specific (translation related) questions about one of them, feel free to ask, but i will not translate each one of them, not without getting paid.

Half of them, if not more, overlap, and do not add significant info anyway. And several new ones are missing.

Maybe someone is interested in creating a similar list for .com?
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 02:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i gotta agree with the outdated-ness. k2 will def. not feature ground battles (as planned in 2007), but the new space combat system will blow ur mind Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: