Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

Second Kosmor Server

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the kosmor.de server be closed in favor of a second international server?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Of course
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Should have been done long time ago
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Sure
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
I agree with the op
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Do it!
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:05    Post subject: Second Kosmor Server Reply with quote

We need to make Kosmor available to a wider audience, and as the German server is rapidly declining (only about 200 users left, there was a time with several houses with more players then that), and with all the multi suspicions, arguments and the stalled wars and house structure it's basically dead.

To make Kosmor successful, we need more users, and you can't get that in the confined space of only one country. And half of the users in .de are international anyways, like Giner, alphabravo etc.

I therefore suggest to close kosmor.de and start a new, international game there. Once we got more then 1000 people per country, we can think about starting local servers, but you can't split a so small community like this.

Note: This thread is as serious as the original thread in kosmor.de

http://kosmor.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16240
Assisi
Councillor of the House

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this ... but what the guys from .de are saying about it ?
I don't speak german and I can't understand what they wrote there.
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are saying that kosmor.com is basically dead and should be closed in favor of an additional German server, to bring back live into Kosmor.

It's kinda what i wrote here, but the other way round.

Oh and btw, if you didn't notice, i'm not completey serious.
Assisi
Councillor of the House

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me on this Aurion Razz I bought it Razz

But I think that .com will revitalize soon. in the past months many serious players joined and some of them will stay.
Nikoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Kosmor.de has MORE users than Kosmor.com, right?

So, the only difference between us is the language. Most of the web-based games have interface where you can choose one of tens of different languages, so why we need different servers at all?

But anyways, nobody wants his virtual Universe to be closed and to start all over again and there is no way that we can fuse the two Galaxies, can we?... well, Idea unless Maely just positions them in the next version of Kosmor next to each other spaced with some nice distance emptyness... What about that - the "German Galaxy" next to the "International Galaxy" in the same Universe - do you like the idea? Question
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has, but only about 2x. And if you discount the inactive etc., the difference will be smaller, as more users means more inactive, more multi etc.

And thats not much for the once so big server. Once there where more users online at the same time then we have now in .de

And fusing, well, it's possible, the question is, how? He could theoretically place both galaxies on top of each other, place everybody where he is on this "combined" map, and then expand it so everybody has an equal distance to each other.

Or something like that.

Easier would be to place them next to each other, but thats not really a solution.

Better would be to randomly place each player somewhere in the universe, either with or without stuff. No one would have an advantage/disadvantage.

But i think the most likely thing for now is that both galaxies will be seperated, like it is now.

The interface solution would be a good idea too, but is only needed if the main galaxy will be international.
Locutus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea might be good, but I consider we shall first consider two factors:

1. K2 shall come out someday. With some luck, it'll give the user base a new growing phase.

2. If such an international server was to be opened, which kosmor server would have to be closed? .com? .de? both?

3. What language would be the "official language" of the game? would there be some way to ease contact between the german community and english community other than through babelfish?

These are all issues you must address before considering setting up an international server.

Here's a few more, game-based:

4. When some players are having a .de and a .com account, when the two universe will be merged, will they have one of their accounts filtered out? Will they become multi until they manually delete one of their account? Will all of the accounts be deleted and we all will have to re-register?

5. What will happen of the pro-turns we have left? Will they be automatically transfered or lost?

6. If you said it's multiing that killed the game, have you got any algorithm to detect those and blacklist them?

I would agree if we were to merge the servers, but we'd have a lot of work to go through before. It's Maeli's decision, and, if I remember it correctly, K2 will be a major rework of K1, so all of this might not be required yet.
Gozer
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikoy wrote:
As far as I know Kosmor.de has MORE users than Kosmor.com, right?

So, the only difference between us is the language. Most of the web-based games have interface where you can choose one of tens of different languages, so why we need different servers at all?

But anyways, nobody wants his virtual Universe to be closed and to start all over again and there is no way that we can fuse the two Galaxies, can we?... well, Idea unless Maely just positions them in the next version of Kosmor next to each other spaced with some nice distance emptyness... What about that - the "German Galaxy" next to the "International Galaxy" in the same Universe - do you like the idea? Question

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing V2 start with a mass resettlement. Each player starts with their WP, fleet, house members, and population. Each player also gets 1 colony WP for each 1000 house member. When a colony WP runs out of house members, it is removed. When a planet is settled, it is populated to capacity, and that amount is subtracted from a player's pool. When the pool runs out, planets start with normal starting population. There's a 20 turn resettlement period with no combat or finance, but free building/mine construction. Players also start with some credits & resources, though how much would be a question, since stockpiles have gotten excessive. Initial placement would take a little work, considering relations and vastly differing space requirements, but it could be done.

This could all be done more quickly outside of the game, but this would be interesting.
Lady_Sjet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as stated above, you limit yourself drastically with a dedicated language server, popmundo has been actively using player conttribution to create language translation packages and because of that they are constantly adding new countries to the games reach. the game now has over 200K players. if you change .com to german only then you lose alot of us like myself who can't read, write or speak another language, but you also lose the possibility of new players in favor of the static population that you already have.

by going with the international server you open yourself up to so many other countries and players, all that's needed is for the word to be spread more concerning the game. you should also remember that this game is more of a dedicated game anyways, and as such it will only appeal to a select group of people. just as popmundo also gets tons of people who log in and go inactive after a day, you'll end up with the same thing here but it will balance out since some of those new players will actually stay.

the main problem with all of this is based on K2, with K2 everything that might be done here to bring the servers back to the light may be a moot point. after all if K2 has a translation program in it and is made to be played internationally and is soon to be completed, then why take time from K2 to "fix" .com or .de. leave them as they are finish K2 and then worry about what to do with the other two.

if something really needs to be done with .com and .de then the best bet is to merge the two, leave the new merger as international for those new players that do come along, allow those who have accounts in both to run them till they can find replacements or remove one of the accounts themselves and go from there.

Lady Sjet
House Ulthwe
Loony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 00:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if there is going to be a k2? which, judging from what i have read here there is, then there would be no point in changing this game, unless everyone will still play this one. is this one even staying open once kosmor2 is out? and is it even worth changing, i do not know how it works but i would imagin merging the two servers would require a great deal of effort and time. which the GM most likely doesnt have
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everything is relocated to Kosmor 2, which means, relative fleet power, distance to other imperators etc., Kosmor 1 will most likely close.

I also highly doubt that Maelstroem will change anything that takes more then 5 minutes in this version of Kosmor, seeing that most things will be fixed in Kosmor 2 anways.

The problem with German vs. international server is, an international server has a chance of attracting more users, in exchange for loosing German players who aren't as good in English.

And using two servers like now splits the population.
Tremor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

(It is wrong to talk about the "International" server. Let's call it the "English" server instead)

Kosmor is, among other things, a game of diplomacy. This means we cannot just have different language interfaces and expect it to work. I can log in to the German server and play well... until the first player message appears in my inbox. Then I am lost. (Ich habe Deutch in Schule gelernt, aber ich habe die meisten vergessen)

There is point in having several servers with different languages, as a service to those of us that don't know the other language.

I see no point in having two German or two English servers. That will just split the player base.

It will be up to Maelstrom to decide how V2 will be. I hope there will be an English V2 server, but if he decides that he will concentrate on his german audience, I will understand that too.
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's an international server, not English. It's just "coincidence" that the international language of today is spoken by people from England.

It's nitpicking, but it is like it is.

I would like to see it more like what .com currently is, with some differences obviously.. Main language would be English, interface would be English at first, but changeable.

The question is, if one server for everyone would ensure more people playing, or two (or more) servers would do the job, obviously with enough people on both servers, and not 10/10000.
Ancient

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some thoughts.
I think you should be able to have a choice of the language the game interface is written in.
What I think would happen is you will get house’s built up of those that speak the same language and a few more house’s formed with the main language English with those whose first language is not English but they speak and write fluent English.
Most likely in each house there will be someone that speaks and writes English they would be the diplomats for sending messages and using the international English part of the forum.
Have forums for each language including English and an international forum based in English.
I can’t really see a way of good communication for those that can’t speak the same language thus I see houses built up with players from the same country’s .
Maybe when a new player joins he is placed where players are that speak the same language which would be sorted from the language game interface chosen.
Getting started in this game seems to be a problem an example the mistrust of new players thinking they maybe multis and they don’t get the help and advice needed you can’t rely on everyone reading up to learn the game and with out help many just give up.
An in game chat board may help the game in many ways this would be a place to get help at as well as somewhere to chat.
Also add more things to do in the game this would give more interest to many and may get more joining and staying.
When starting a few minutes doing things and that’s it until 24 hrs later give more to do and have a in game chat board and I think that may help get more players and keeping them,

One other thing that seems to loose players is getting ripped down to just one or a few planets and then it is like having to start from scratch which is often not appealing to many and they leave the game.
And there will always be those that will rip others for many reasons how ever much some feel it is wrong there are others that feel it is ok and then those that do it for revenge of some sort or they feel someones a multi or multi user or they ripped them down so back to the revenge part again etc etc.
There are many games where you can get beaten and you have to start again from scratch however there are additions for these situations like for example a fast build for a limited amount of time.
Not sure what would work in kosmor but something is needed to help players rebuild faster than you would when new to the game and building up.

Other games have things in place that can helps reduce ripping are things like can't attack a player that is a certain size smaller than you are if that was in kosmor then that should also apply to taking planets too not just WPs.
That would then involve giving more things for subs and allies to do than just having one large WP per house (Unles a really large house) running around with one player in control of it and the rest of the members doing nothing much and just supplying ships for this large WP.

Other things this would effect to but as it is just thoughts I have not really thought long about it.

Then there is the multi abuse and many players get pissed off about it and pissed off enough to just leave the game.

Last edited by Ancient on Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:39; edited 2 times in total
Aurion
Member of the House

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maelstroem in kosmor.de wrote:
Hola, keines der beiden Spiele .de / .com wird geschlossen, sondern sie werden in K2 übernommen - die relativen Positionen und Spielstärken der Spieler bleiben erhalten. Es wird jedoch vor dieser Umstellung ausführliche Balancingarbeiten und Betatests geben.
Wenn K2 gestartet wird, werden zusätzlich zu den konvertierten .de / .com Galaxien neue Spielmodi (zeitlimitiert, gleiche Chancen für jeden Neueinsteiger) angeboten.

Ciao,
Maelstroem

He's saying that both games (.de and .com) will be continued an transferred to K2, keeping relativ positions and player power the same. Also there will be extended balancing work and beta tests before.

There also will be additional game modes with time limites, and not only the persistent .de/.com universe like now.

--

Nothing really new, except if you missed it back when he said it now and then, but good to refresh our memories.

I'm also honestly surprised that this thread, which was only a joke response to the one in .de, turned into something actually useful, with fresh ideas. Keep up the good work Laola
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Kosmor Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: