Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

Spy ship?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquadus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:24    Post subject: Spy ship? Reply with quote

I just thought with all of the changes that are going to happen, a spy ship might be a good idea to implement. Something that could look at certain things on an enemy planet and have only a certain amount of success. Like maybe the info is only 80% correct or something like that.

On the defensive side of it, there could also be ships that defend from these spy ships.

Or there could be a component that does all of this with a building or two to upgrade these abilities by a certain amount.
Shadowmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has been brought up before...bad idea....
NobleSteve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this idea actually, maybe it could be either a new class of a specially fitted smaller ship like the probe... it could jump to planets and maybe view pro building, mines or factory levels ships being built... all highly valuable pieces of info. Especially with the ship building..... a huge ship like a H11 would be pretty visible being built.

To make the ship maybe a new sensor componant could be created? and success of scan could reflect number of "hardpoints" on the ship with these sensors. thus making a fully fitted ship more likely to scan things correctly but one with some defences could suffer interference from thos weapons/shields it has...

Here come the however though.... this new ship would probably have the need to scan from its flight range... eg 120 light years or so in order to be made use of if it planet jumped... and many players would have one on their Wp and simply use it to decide which planet they liked best. I would also like to possibly see a limit of numbers on these higly valuable spy ships for a balance to the game

Just my Tupence worth... feel free to rip into me for it... nicely of course!
aquadus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowmaster, I meant this as a suggestion because people might not attack other players if they didn't have an idea of what they were up against.

NobleSteve, Keep the ideas coming. Who knows, maybe if we thow enough ideas at them, one of them might get picked. LOL

Seriously, this suggestion of mine was meant for when the rest of the improvements are made. Mainly the one that makes the smaller ships able to carry whatever they want. This is to try and balance the game.
Shadowmaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, new ideas are good...and the spy ships has more disadvantages than good....dont get me wrong, i thought that is was a good idea until the bad things were pointed out......
aquadus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then point them out already. Lets hear them so we can think of better ideas.
aquadus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shadowmaster. You kept on saying that there were disadvantages. Hurry up and post them.
Locutus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clicky
aquadus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus, Thank you. Now I see there aren't any plans for this.
Shadowmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquadus wrote:
Hey Shadowmaster. You kept on saying that there were disadvantages. Hurry up and post them.

sorry...

some of the disadvantages that would be due to a spy ship would be, haveing to worry more about what enemies are spying on you, it would make it alot harder to keep better control of your borders....(situation) say you were at war with someone, that person was attacking you, but they dint really have any solid details of your territory, ships, etc...so they have to rely information that your intelegence is able to come up with, and untill the attacker is close enouph he wont have any real intel on you, and when he gets close enouph to get intel, you can see him too...now if he has a spy ship, he can be a long ways out, send in the ship with no worries wether he looses it or not, and get what intel he needs and plan his attack acordingly and you cant do anything about it until he attacks and you will have no knowledge of when and where he will attack until its to late...

granted, that would be more like real life, but the game doesnt have to be exactly like real life.....there are others, but im sure that you can think of some yourself as well...
aquadus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then. I've read the other thread and I have read what you just said Shadowmaster. Now I think that maybe sending ships on scouting mission might be a better way to go. Like maybe sending a small ship to an enemy planet to see what stuff they have and have there be a large chance that the ship won't return.

Example:
Say you send a H1 to look at a planet that has 3 H4s.

base 25% for surviving
base 75% for accuracy of information
-2% for each H4
25-2-2-2=19% chance of surviving
75-2-2-2=69% chance of accuracy

My reasoning is that the smaller ships, though the most likely to die, would also be the most likely to get classified info. The higher class ships, though most likely to live, would not be able to get as much info because of the enemy seeing them coming. Also, the ship that is scouting will not be able to attack. That way, the person on defense won't be hurt and the person on offense will have to make a valuable choice.
Locutus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you happen to read my post in the other ship thread? I suggested a similar idea, only that it was a probe launched from the warplanet.
Shadowmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats another point, along the lines of locutus....now that there will be no drive limit, dont need a spy ship class, just make h1's with d12s on it and there you go...
aquadus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus, I guess I missed that one. I just looked over it again. To broaden on that idea, maybe have it so that it costs money to build one of them. They could also be expendable. Problem is that it may be similar, but, it isn't what I had in mind. Take a look at what I said to Shadowmaster and see what I mean.

Shadowmaster, You don't seem to get the point of my first suggestion. A spy ship would ONLY be used to see what the person has equipped to a ship. How many lasers, sheilds, torpedoes, and what the drive capabilities are. What you and Locutus have suggested are explorer ships.
Locutus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be interesting... a spy ship that sends back messages about ship armaments. It would really ruin strategies, though, but it could also add strategy.

I think that if you did that, then the ship could send messages back in your IGM's, and it can only send back, say 20 lines before it is destroyed. Each ship would take up lines equivalent to its hull points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: