Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

The way of Democracy
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locutus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:08    Post subject: The way of Democracy Reply with quote

This topic was splitted by Mod.
As I burrow through piles of dust, I finally find this old topic.

I recieved a detailed list of places where we will be staying throughout the trip. If anyone wants to know when and where they can find me while in Europe, I will post it. Maybe we could have a KosmorCon 2006 or something in München/Munich.

Also, if you are a member of a militant anti-American terrorist group, I will be willing to provide you with the location of about 20 American tourists from May 31 to June 15. Just be sure not to bomb/shoot/torture the Chinese person.
PaulAtreides

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 05:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

...despicable Chinese communist... Confused
Locutus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

...greedy western imperialist... Confused

(You know I was just joking about the militant terrorist thing, right?)
PaulAtreides

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I assumed so. Rolling Eyes

I wonder how many Chinese actually approve of their government's policies and like the dictators that run that country... Question
paveyj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 01:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, a political discussion about far east politics, its about time we touched that subject. There shouldnt be any confusion about my opinion on the matter: I believe in self-determination, and therefore cannot support a government who seized power 60 odd years ago. Peoples Republic my arse
Gozer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 08:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're moving, inevitably, toward self-determination. I hope they're just trying to do it in a more orderly fashion than the USSR did.
Locutus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do you personally know any Chinese person who doesn't approve of their country's policies?

By the way, I think we should keep on topic.
PaulAtreides

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you, Locutus, find it morally acceptable for a government to abort the children of familes who already have a child in the interest of population limitation?
Locutus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to continue to argue in this GAME forum, then you should read on (copy the text into a text editor). What started as a joke is was never intended to escalate to this level.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahh yes... the age-old accusation of "population control." Apparently you are unfamiliar with the consequences of overpopulation. Wait about half a century, and perhaps you shall see.

Those who disobey the laws in order to have a second child are breaking the laws of their country. If they wish to have children, they can emigrate or face the consequences.

There are many different interpretations of what is "morally acceptable" in the world today. As a soldier may sacrifice his life for his country, so may the government take the life of an unborn child in order to provide a future for the country. If there is no war, a soldier need not put himself in danger. If there is no overpopulation, then the government does not need to enforce policies of population control. However, the reality of the matter is that there IS war, and there IS overpopulation.

I should make it clear that it is the parent's first action in such cases abortion. The government did not act first.

Edit: changed size

Last edited by Locutus on Thu Apr 20, 2006 13:32; edited 1 time in total
Gozer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the choice is forced population control or eventual starvation, population control may be the better option. Now, if we really want to get into this, look into the history of eugenics in the US & Europe.
PaulAtreides

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The human fatalities resultant from China's oppressive policies are not a joke.

You are woefully ignorant if you still believe that overpopulation is a problem, or perhaps your government has fed you a load of propaganda.

“It is a good thing that China has a big population,” Mao Zedong stated with confidence in 1949. “Even if China’s population multiplies many times, she is fully capable of finding a solution,” he said.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/Overpop.shtml

http://www.globalissues.org/EnvIssues/Population/Hunger/FoodFirst/Control.asp

http://www.citizenreviewonline.org/news/stories/398c8.html
Locutus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

"For every one person who stands for an idea, there is one who stands against it, and many who fall because of it."
-Me

From MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/307034.asp?cp1=1

And also an article about useless arguments (scroll to the middle of the page):
http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom/msn/careeradvice/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=436

What does not matter is that our opinions are different. What does matter is what may, can, and will happen. I will leave that for the future to decide.
PaulAtreides

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mod altered this post.

Last edited by PaulAtreides on Fri Apr 21, 2006 13:43; edited 1 time in total
PaulAtreides

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the few Chinese officials who make social policy based on their specious ideas about population control, there are countless corpses of aborted Chinese infants discarded dead. So I believe your quotation is true enough. State officials come up with ideas, and Chinese people die as a consequence.
Agnar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 07:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my tuppence (2 pence) worth:

In the discussions i have with my chinese colegues over here, there is not one of them that thinks their government, or their FORM of government, is evil or even wrong.

In contrast, they point out many valid ways in which our western democratic system is a joke.

It is obvious that things are changing in China, but i dont nescesarilly believe that western democracy is the answer for a just government.

Also, I read somewhere that there is not a single country in the world that satisfies/respects all the basic human rights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Kosmor Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: