Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

SVG + Coords
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 15:32    Post subject: SVG + Coords Reply with quote

1: It would be much nicer if the SVG coords and the game coords were the same
2: It would also be nice if the difference between the SVG coords and the game coords was constant

(example from .de)
there was a reshuffle between 316 and 317...
so the shape of the house changed a little bit
between 316 and 317 the "x" are 10 different for the same planets

with SVG maps they can be modified...
eg:
i centred it at 0/0 (somewhere in the header with an X and a Y... set them to 0)
i made the coords in the actual place (using <g transform=translate(x y)>....... last WP location and name..... </g>)
i plotted the location of a WP that i knew its position
(<circle cx="" cy="" r=2 /><text cx="" cy="">someone's KP</text>)
i drew some lines like 0/500/1000/1500 x and y for reference ( <line x1="0" y1="-10000" x2="0" y2="10000" /> etc

with SVG it is possible to extract coords from the source... so please make it easier for us to do this Very Happy

#1 wish = SVG coords and game coords are different... simply centre the starting SVG on player using the numbers in the header
#2 wist = SVG coords are always the same distance away from game coords (but might as well be the same)
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the problem, can't yet fix it.
Do the following:
Remember one star position of a well known star system eg home planet.
Calculate each turns deltas: subtract svg coordinate of hp (x/y) from known real hp coordinates (x/y)
Apply (add) these deltas to all your svg coordinates to get real coordinates.

Bye,
Maelstroem
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - good to know its on a very long list Wink

thats what i have done so far Wink
the first planet on the list is my choice for this Wink
Embrodak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand the point of this SVG map. You can't click on it to give orders or get more information, so why bother having it? The only reason I might want to use it is if I have a very large empire and I want to see all of it at once.
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the point, before (and now) there was a png bitmap map
this shows the map of all your empire
now we have SVG, it does the same thing, but...
1 because its text form, it uses a LOT less bandwidth and server time (eg 500KB is down to about 175KB)
2 it is XML based, and contains coordinates... so actual positions can be found... and other things added at specific coordinates
Alteron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 05:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the SVG-maps to keep an overview of the space known to me. I also download one every 5th day or so, storing them on my pc to keep historical records.

But I am not very familiar with the program at all. Can I perhaps merge maps of different dates to include planets that my WP have passed? Is there a way? This way I can maintain better knowledge of the space that's close to me. Twisted Evil

Can I perhaps also add info by myself later on? Notes on the planets, such as productivity etc? I would like that... Cool
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alteron wrote:
I use the SVG-maps to keep an overview of the space known to me. I also download one every 5th day or so, storing them on my pc to keep historical records.

But I am not very familiar with the program at all. Can I perhaps merge maps of different dates to include planets that my WP have passed? Is there a way? This way I can maintain better knowledge of the space that's close to me. Twisted Evil

Can I perhaps also add info by myself later on? Notes on the planets, such as productivity etc? I would like that... Cool

well there are ways of doing it, but you would need to have the possibility of writing code

i *can* make a crude list of the planets which i've seen from various maps including the coordinates, and removing duplicates, but it's far from perfect

if you can write any kind of script / know a programming language, and need the format of SVG... let me know
i have used perl with quite some success, i know many prefer php...

but to answer the question... yes it is possible, but no it isnt easy
Alteron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 05:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you would find me inside excel-sheets. I know their landuage and logic. But I am not familiar with perl or php. Unfortunately.
Shadowmaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still dont get how to do any of this. lol.. not a computer wiz like most of you guys are..wish i was though...lol...would make plotting my coordinates easier....
Merthos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 09:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, welcome to Merthos' exclusive SVG map workshop. Everybody take your seats please.

At first lets start with quite simple example:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20010904//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd">
<svg preserveAspectRatio="none"
     xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
  <!-- Styles - see CSS -->
  <style type="text/css">
    <![CDATA[
       .radar {fill:#050519;}
       .radarown {fill:#0a0a32;}
       .name {font-family:Arial; font-size:9; stroke-width:0px;}
       .nameships {font-family:Arial; font-size:9; text-decoration:underline; stroke-width:0px;}
       .wpname {font-family:Arial; font-weight:bold; font-size:11; stroke-width:0px;}
       .wpnameships {font-family:Arial; font-weight:bold; font-size:11; text-decoration:underline; stroke-width:0px;}
    ]]>
  </style>

<!-- background -->
  <rect x="-10000" y="-10000" width="20000" height="20000" fill="#000000" />

<!-- radar circles -->
  <circle cx="446" cy="368" r="130" class="radarown" />

<!-- planets -->
  <circle cx="446" cy="368" r="1" fill="#787878" />
  <text x="447" y="367" class="name" style="fill:#4c4d00;">Pulsraundemi</text>

<!-- WPs -->
  <line x1="2469" y1="1504" x2="450" y2="380" style="stroke:#3B5775;" />
  <text x="450" y="380" class="wpnameships" style="fill:#ffff00;">Merthos</text>
</svg>

This is all that is left from the map when you remove all the fancy navigation elements and scripts.

Let's review it. It begins with some header ("<?xml" and "<!DOCTYPE"). This is to identify the document type, encoding and version and can be ignored (there is nothing to change there). The next is the "<svg". This is the "container" element for the content (maybe like the body element in HTML). Following that are the styles defined. This is just plain CSS, same as in HTML and again there is nothing to be changed there. Afterwards you can see a "<rect". This produces a filled black rectangle of 20000x20000 pixel in the background (if you zoom out enough on a map you can see it).

After that the important stuff startes. First are the radar cycles. For each planet and WP where you see something a circle in this nice blue color is drawn. Next are the planets. A tiny circle to mark the position and the name ("<text").

And last but not least the WPs. A line ("<line") to draw the WP trail and again the name ("<text"). When the WP is in free space than there is also an additional little circle to indicate the position.

That's all. You can see that all elements have som kind of coordinates (x, y, cx, cy). By inserting or removing elements you can manipulate the map in any way you like. That's all for today. Questions can be asked in the next lesson.
fern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant you just merge the pictures with a photo package?
that is crude, but most computers hae a program that would do it..........
Shadowmaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to let it be know that i havent the slightest idea as to what ya'll are saying...lol....
fern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

he wants to use his knowledge of his area thathe cant now see but knws locations of systems from archived maps, so he is trying to get all his info on one map......
Alteron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to join old and new maps, to create a larger cartographic reference for myself.

Is there any other way than joining new and old maps manually? Have some wizard written some program to join maps (sort planets, remove duplicates, give colours)?
MePha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 05:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there is a programm or tool that can do this.

alphabravo and i have written it for the german kosmor.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: