Kosmor Forum Index
 Search Imprint      SearchSearch     Log inLog in 
 Search Legal      MemberlistMemberlist     ProfileProfile   

Ship names length.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 09:58    Post subject: Ship names length. Reply with quote

Is there any real reason about the rule that the ship names has to be only 18 characters long and not to include special characters?

I want to give different name to each of my ships and I prefer 2 word combinations for my H10s. Many times the name I like is just 2-4 letters longer than 18 characters - hence I cannot name the ship so. This is kind of annoying.
Isnít it possible changes to be made, so the possible names to become longer? It doesnít harm anyone.
alphabravo
Major

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and no
when you have long planet names, owned by a player with a long name, in a house with a long name, reading the navigation screen when there are lots of ships is an absolute nightmare

but then again, i have several times had to change my naming plans based on the rules, left out underscores, and ReplacedWithCapitalisation etc
Nikoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphabravo wrote:
when you have long planet names, owned by a player with a long name, in a house with a long name, reading the navigation screen when there are lots of ships is an absolute nightmare

Well, this doesn't happen so often and when it happens even now you have to read 2 rows of text per ship. 5-6 symbols more woldn't make big difference.

I wonder why Maeli didn't put his comment as he wrote 2 posts just some minutes ago? Question
Maelstroem
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I went packing luggage Wink
I second alphas points. There will be always a "name too short" restriction for some (extravagant) naming schemes. But if we make the general ship name length too long, there will be funny ship names out there e.g. like XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX or something like that, which is visually very distracting, when viewing long (enemy) ship lists.

My thoughts on an interface rework also concentrate more on fleets than on ships. As fleets will (hopefully) not be so many as there are ships, we can agree to have longer fleet names.

Bye,
Maelstroem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kosmor Forum Index -> Feedback / suggestions for improvement All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: